Beyond the Powers || An Axis Powers Hetalia RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beyond the Powers || An Axis Powers Hetalia RP

An Axis Powers Hetalia Historical and Alternate Universe Role Play

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/ Belarus

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/  Belarus Empty
PostSubject: Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/ Belarus   Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/  Belarus EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 2:49 pm

I know some of you are extremely busy, but if you are interested, I would really like to RP the creation, brief life and untimely demise of the Belorussian National Republic in the future. I've provided links to sources below including an archive of documents produced by the rada (council). I'm also using Europe: A History by Norman Davies, a good survey history text on European history.

Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/  Belarus B8tcT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belarusian_People%E2%80%99s_Republic#History

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Belarus#BNR_and_LBSSR

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Belarusian_National_Republic

http://belarusdigest.com/tag/belarusian-national-republic/

http://www.belarusguide.com/history1/history.html#Independence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Brest-Litovsk#Terms_of_the_peace_treaty

http://www.radabnr.org/indexen.html

Belarus: A Crossroads in History (start on page 65)

Polish-Soviet War:

http://home.golden.net/~medals/1918-1921war.html

And finally, a map of the region in 1920:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/54/Poland_%26_The_New_Baltic_States.jpg

In the aftermath of WWI Belarus began developing a national identity. The Mitteleuropa plan wanted to create a buffer zone between the Bolsheviks and Germany. The Germans allowed schools to teach the native language and interest in Belorussian culture emerged. The Rada (council) produced three charters, the third being the declaration that Belarus was an independent republic on March 25 1918. Being surrounded by larger, more powerful countries that had no interest in an independent Belorussian state moved quickly and by 1920 the territory claimed by the BNR had been partitioned between Russia and Poland.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by Natalia/Belarus on Mon May 03, 2010 3:49 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ivan Braginski/Russia
Лидера
Лидера
Ivan Braginski/Russia

PostSubject: Re: Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/ Belarus   Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/  Belarus EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 7:04 pm

I added you to my list, but, I think Italy is not going to reply to me, so if he doesn't, that opens up two more spots. Since you really aren't rping with anyone, I can put you in one of those spots. I don't mind, I just need to research and discuss things with you. So I'm up for it, just gotta see if everyone else is up for it as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/ Belarus   Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/  Belarus EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 8:03 pm

I'm also interested, if you'll have me! Looks like it'll be a fun RP all around. I've saved the links and will look into it more, but my answer is yes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/ Belarus   Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/  Belarus EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 8:29 pm

YAY! *Dances and hugs you both* I've wanted to do this for a long time so thank you for your willingness to come on board. It's an amazing part of European history that gets overlooked.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/ Belarus   Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/  Belarus EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 12:03 pm

Since it looks like it's just the three of us, let me know when a good time to start will be and I will post a thread.
Back to top Go down
Ivan Braginski/Russia
Лидера
Лидера
Ivan Braginski/Russia

PostSubject: Re: Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/ Belarus   Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/  Belarus EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 4:44 am

Well, I haven't been able to read anything yet, since I haven't been home and won't be home until Monday. So just give me some time to read all the links and stuff and I can see where would be a good place to start and when to do it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/ Belarus   Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/  Belarus EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 9:38 pm

Sorry for the late response, but I would also be interested in helping out with this! I'll read through the links tonight/tomorrow. Also, would discussions about this be okay, just so I know I've got the basic idea before we start? Thanks!

(Also, if you wanted to cover the Lithuanian-Byelorusian SSR, I'm going to warn you in advance; unless things have changed since January, the most information you're going to find in English is on Wikipedia. And that isn't very much. Believe me, I've looked. OTL)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/ Belarus   Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/  Belarus EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 9:01 pm

*hugs Toris tight* Not a problem, we have to wait for Ivan before we can start. Thank you for replying. Discussions are welcome, the years between WWI and WWII are an amazing period. I know there is very little about the Lithuanian-Belorussian SSR, historians spend about as much time on it as it existed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/ Belarus   Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/  Belarus EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 9:42 pm

Like I told you in chat, if you manage to snatch up Germany for this, you might be able to get a (Free State of) Prussia too~
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/ Belarus   Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/  Belarus EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 5:16 pm

Some discussion/basic outline:

October 1917 - Bolshevik revolution in Russia. Belarus considers the fate of their country after the fall of the tzar in Russia and Germany's impending defeat. Autonomous state within the new Russia or independent country?

Germany - At first tries to interfere with Belarus becoming an independent state, but at the end of the war decides an independent Belarus is an advantage to create a "buffer zone" of countries between them and the Bolsheviks, or "Mitteleuropa."

Russia - Has no interest in former territories becoming independent, and has plans to extend the Revolution to the rest of Europe.

Poland - Seeks to expand it's territory to include Lithuania, Belarus and Ukraine.

(Can you see how this is going to play out yet?)

Meanwhile, back in Belarus -

Through the short-lived Brest-Litovsk treaty a number of former Russian territories gain their independence when Germany is forced to retreat. Belarus spends a short amount of time deciding whether to become an autonomous state under Russia, or to declare her independence. In early 1918 she chooses independence and issues 3 charters:

* Feb 21, 1918 - The Belorussian council of the new Belarus National Republic (BNR) is the only legitimate power.

* March 9, 1918 - (After the Brest-Litovsk Treaty is signed between Germany and Russia) A permanent government of the BNR (rada) is established.

* March 25, 1918 - Declares Belarus an independent state and lays claim the territories that make up the state. (Wikipedia article lists them)

Germany encourages distinct Belorussian culture to flourish. Hundreds of schools open that teach Belorussian as the primary language. Belarus forms an army of about 11,000 troops.

A number of states recognize Belarus independence; Russia refuses after negotiations between the two countries, and in December of 1918 sets up a Soviet puppet government. It lasts a month.

Red Army Invades Belarus (Brother!) Rada flees to Vilnius. In April Poland seizes Hdrodna and Vilnius. Poland approaches Belarus and Lithuania with an offer to unite all the former Grand Duchy lands under the control of Poland and grant them cultural and political autonomy. Not to be outdone, Russia creates the Lithuania - Belarus SSR promising cultural autonomy (crushed under Stalin). the LitBel SSR also falls apart after a short period of time. (Another one of brother's puppet governments anyway ... good riddance to them!) Poland eventually reneges and only grants cultural autonomy to Belarus. Belarus rejects Poland's offer and tries to negotiate Belorussian freedom with Russia if they adopt the Soviet constitution (Belarus hasn't had a chance to write her own yet) Russia says no.

Polish Soviet War ...

November 11 - Belarus and Lithuania sign an agreement to keep Poland from taking over their lands.

Peace of Riga - Fate of Belarus is decided. Belarus not invited to attend. End result is Belarus is partitioned between Poland and Russia. Russian controlled Belarus is allowed at first to have cultural autonomy, but eventually this ends once Stalin takes over. Poland controlled half isn't so lucky. Poland tries to eliminate Belorussian culture and turn the people into Poles. (Make them dress in tacky fashions)

So ... questions, comments ... beauty tips?
Back to top Go down
Ludwig/Germany
The Awesome Kingdom's Brüderlein
Ludwig/Germany

PostSubject: Re: Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/ Belarus   Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/  Belarus EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 2:26 am

Oh mai, oh mai. I'm willing to do this, but as you guys know I'm a little in over my head with RP threads on this a multiple other forums right now. But! If you can maybe cut me some slack, I maaaay be able to play this out with you~
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/ Belarus   Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/  Belarus EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 12:26 pm

Ludwig/Germany wrote:
Oh mai, oh mai. I'm willing to do this, but as you guys know I'm a little in over my head with RP threads on this a multiple other forums right now. But! If you can maybe cut me some slack, I maaaay be able to play this out with you~

Fantastic. You're part in this is in the beginning, once WWI ends Germany doesn't have much interaction (Except for Belarus asking for Germany's help once the Polish-Soviet war starts) with Belarus. Thanks a bunch.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/ Belarus   Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/  Belarus EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 5:20 pm

Ah, I guess I'm being ignored on this one. Oh well, have fun! :3

Edit: Guess I'll post once I figure this thing out. =w=

Last edited by Gilbert/Prussia on Sat May 29, 2010 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ludwig/Germany
Ludwig/Germany

PostSubject: Re: Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/ Belarus   Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/  Belarus EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 9:16 pm

Gilbert/Prussia wrote:

Wat?! Gil, join! DDDD:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/ Belarus   Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/  Belarus EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 10:32 pm

Gilbert/Prussia wrote:

No one's ignoring you. confused
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Thread is back up   Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/  Belarus EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 12:34 am

The thread is back up in the 20th Century section.

Last edited by Natalia/Belarus on Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/ Belarus   Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/  Belarus EmptyThu May 20, 2010 10:32 pm

Back to top Go down
Ivan Braginski/Russia
Лидера
Лидера
Ivan Braginski/Russia

PostSubject: Re: Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/ Belarus   Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/  Belarus EmptyThu May 20, 2010 11:49 pm

Germany said that he posted three times on that thread and nothing showed up. He said that he will be posting again today, but... we'll have to wait and see if he does.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/ Belarus   Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/  Belarus Empty

Back to top Go down

Belarus National Republic/1918 - 1920/ Belarus
Page 1 of 1